Compounding Medications for Horses
For centuries horses have been an integral part of human existence. They have helped mighty armies win great battles, carried explorers across new frontiers, and caused tens of thousands of people to stand and cheer as they raced down the back straight away. They gallop and trot, whinny and neigh, capturing our imagination — and our hearts.
At Vic’s Family Pharmacy, located in Nampa, ID, we specialize in formulating medications for horses that meet the most stringent compounding standards. We can help you and your veterinarian find the medication that best fits your horse’s needs; in a delivery form and strength that increases compliance, reduces side effects, and eliminates the stress of medication administration.
Benefits of a Compounded Medication
Our highly trained pharmacists have the ability to custom make medications in our state of the art compounding laboratory. This process is called “prescription compounding”. Compounding medications allows for:
- Unique delivery vehicles to be utilized (i.e., pastes, powders, injection solutions, flavored oral suspensions, etc.). These unique forms of delivery may make administering medications easier, more pleasant, and potentially more effective.
- Medicines to be concentrated based on individual need; which maximizes therapeutic outcomes while potentially reducing side effects.
- Multiple medications to be combined to form a customized medication. This may speed the healing process and save consumers valuable time and money, eliminating the need of switching from one therapy to the next.
Equine Illnesses Commonly Treated with Compounded Medications
Because every horse is unique, each prescription is custom-made according to a veterinarian's specifications. Some of the more common conditions we compound medications for include:
•Allergies •Fungal Infections •Pain & Inflammation •Fertility •Cushing’s Disease •Wound Care
•Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) •Navicular Disease •Foal Care •Muscle Relaxation
•And many more!
Creating Customized Delivery Forms for Horses
We can create medications in the following delivery forms that will increase compliance, reduce the stress of administration, and maximize the potential for therapeutic success:
•Oral Pastes •Oral Suspensions •Capsules • Topical Ointments •Topical Gels •Powders
•And many more!
Is a Compounded Prescription Right for My Horse?
- Talk to your Veterinarian - Discuss compounding as a treatment option, and let your veterinarian know you heard about prescription compounding from Vic’s Family Pharmacy.
- Contact Us - To inquire about potential treatment strategies, and how Vic’s Family Pharmacy can help your horse.