Compounding Medications for Dogs
Often times referred to as “man’s best friend”, dogs have been living and working alongside humans for thousands of years. With over 125 recognized breeds, the domesticated dog comes in all different sizes, weights, and colors. Therefore does it make sense to give a 7lb Chihuahua and a 77lb Husky a 5mg tablet?
At Vic’s Family Pharmacy, located in Nampa, ID, we specialize in formulating medications for dogs that meet the most stringent compounding standards. We can help you and your veterinarian find the medication that best fits your dog’s needs; in a delivery form and strength that increases compliance, reduces side effects, and eliminates the stress of medication administration.
Benefits of a Compounded Medication
Our highly trained pharmacists have the ability to custom make medications in our state of the art compounding laboratory. This process is called “prescription compounding”. Compounding medications allows for:
- Unique delivery vehicles to be utilized (i.e., treats, powders, flavored oral suspensions, etc.). These unique forms of delivery may make administering medications easier, more pleasant, and potentially more effective.
- Medicines to be concentrated based on individual need; which maximizes therapeutic outcomes while potentially reducing side effects.
- Multiple medications to be combined to form a customized medication. This may speed the healing process and save consumers valuable time and money, eliminating the need of switching from one therapy to the next.
Canine Illnesses Commonly Treated with Compounded Medications
Because every dog is unique, each prescription is custom-made according to a veterinarian's specifications. Some of the more common conditions we compound medications for include:
•Epilepsy & Seizures •Urinary Incontinence •Osteoarthritis •Dermatitis •Pain •Wound Care
•Hypertension •Heart Failure •Compulsive Disorders •Conditions of the Eye •Hair Loss
•Bowel Disorders •And many more!
Creating Customized Delivery Forms for Dogs
We can create medications in the following delivery forms that will increase compliance, reduce the stress of administration, and maximize the potential for therapeutic success:
•Chewable Treats •Oral Pastes •Oral Suspensions •Capsules • Topical Ointments •Powders
•And many more!
Is a Compounded Prescription Right for My Dog?
- Talk to your Veterinarian - Discuss compounding as a treatment option, and let your veterinarian know you heard about prescription compounding from Vic’s Family Pharmacy.
- Contact Us - To inquire about potential treatment strategies, and how Vic’s Family Pharmacy can help your dog.