What Causes Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are painful, swollen veins in the lower portion of the rectum or anus, and result from increased pressure in the veins of the anus. The pressure causes the veins to bulge and expand, making them painful, particularly when you are sitting. The most common cause is straining during bowel movements. Hemorrhoids may result from pregnancy, constipation, sitting for long periods of time, and anal infections.
How Common are Hemorrhoids?
According to the American Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons hemorrhoids affect a large portion of our population:
- Hemorrhoids are one of the most common ailments affecting adults
- More than half the population will develop hemorrhoids, usually after age 30
- Millions of Americans currently suffer from hemorrhoids
- The average person suffers in silence for a long period before seeking medical care
Compounding Medications for Hemorrhoids
Vic’s Family Pharmacy has been helping people who have been suffering from the discomfort of hemorrhoids for years.
- Rectal Ointments - For patients who are suffering from severe hemorrhoids we have the ability to compound several medications, either alone or in combination, into a rectal ointment. Rectal ointments are typically prescribed as a precursor to suppositories, as the ointment will help to shrink the hemorrhoids so that a suppository can be inserted comfortably.
- Suppositories - We can compound several combinations of medications in suppository form. The suppositories keep the medications in direct contact with the hemorrhoids providing relief and shrinking the actual hemorrhoids.
- “Rectal Rocket” Suppositories - Our unique suppositories (nicknamed the "Rectal Rocket" because of their shape) help to treat internal and external hemorrhoids simultaneously. Because of their contoured shape they do not get lost in the rectum, and they allow patients to expel gas without losing the suppository. The "Rectal Rocket" is a patented suppository that is only available to a limited number of pharmacies across the USA.
Is a Compounded Prescription for Hemorrhoids Right for Me?
- Talk to your health care provider - Discuss compounding ointments or suppositories as a treatment option, and let your health care provider know you heard about prescription compounding from Vic’s Family Pharmacy.
- Contact Us - To inquire about potential treatment strategies, and how Vic’s Family Pharmacy can help you.